The motto for The Davey Group might just as well be: “we do everything”.
It is an internationally competitive civil, structural and mechanical engineering group of companies offering engineered solutions across a comprehensive range of standard engineered products, specialising in design and construct capabilities servicing numerous industries including government, mining, oil and gas, road transport, agriculture and forestry.
The companies within the Group all have their own unique needs and are focused on providing heavy machinery and services to an array of industries.
According to Davey Group director Tony Davey, The Davey Group specialises in the delivery of complete turnkey solutions including large, complex industrial equipment, storage solutions, bulk materials handling, processing plants, structural steel buildings and supporting plant infrastructure.
“The depth of experience and capabilities brings significant value to major projects where safety, quality, timelines, working to tight budgets and schedules whilst maintaining enough flexibility to meet client needs are key drivers,” Tony said.
“The size of the group and its network of suppliers allows the company to increase capacity to handle larger project work very quickly and effectively.
“The products include anything from emulsion and urea tanks for minesites, large coal bunkers, storage for Collet glass, and silos, to concrete and steel hoppers and associated support structures.
“We’ve done gas and air ducts, chimney flues, earth movers and also equipment for the power station at Collie in WA.”
The Davey Group was established in 1987 and operates three divisions:
- General Engineering: Including civil, structural and mechanical engineering. This includes a dedicated blasting and painting facility commissioned in April 2013.
- Transport: Road transport trailers along with other general and specialised designs for industrial applications.
- Agricultural and Forestry: Agricultural machinery and equipment (tillage and planting), ground clearing equipment and storage vessels for a wide range of applications.
The services include:
- Engineering Design: The company’s depth of engineering design experience on complex projects brings value through the quality of designs, constructability of designs and the ability to accurately cost complex projects.
- Technical Advice: The Davey Group’s technical capabilities and experience help clients to solve complex problems and improve the functionality of products.
- Quality manufacturing and fabrication: Capabilities cover small to large scale tanks, bins, vessels, silos and other storage containers, conveyors and materials handling solutions including terminal equipment, shed and structures, concrete reservoirs/silos, large scale chimney stacks, wash plant construction, platforms and walkways, anode stem bracket assemblies, rollermills and mixers, and processing equipment.
The Davey Group can fabricate in mild and stainless steel and aluminium, and can apply protective coatings from industrial to food grade to completed products.
Items up to 50t and as wide as 11m can be manufactured on site in Toowoomba and delivered to site.
The Davey Group uses its past work as a basis for continuous improvement and regularly wins national work over international competitors.
This depth of experience and capabilities brings significant value to the major projects market where quality, timelines, working to budget and flexibility to meet client needs are key drivers.
The Davey Group services clients throughout Australia and international markets including Hong Kong, the Philippines, New Zealand, Fiji, Brazil and South Africa.
The Davey Group’s brands include:
- SBT – Silos, Bins and Tanks Engineering Pty Ltd
- Rhino trailers and low loaders: Comprehensive range of road transport equipment
- AFM (Australian Farm Machinery) precision planting and tillage equipment
- Homan heavy land clearing equipment, bush canopies, stick rakes, cutter bars and blade plows.
- Savannah forestry equipment
- HMB Davey Engineering SDN BHD: Structural and plate fabrication.
- Protective coatings including sandblasting and painting in environmentally contained blasting and painting booths. Blasting and painting meet Australian Standards.
Facilities and Resources
The Davey Group operates from a modern 39,000m² facility at Toowoomba, including over 10,000m² of workshops fully serviced by overhead cranes, and has the capacity to undertake jobs up to $20m in value.
The workshop site has 10,000m² of concreted hardstand area for storage and loading and employs in excess of 100 highly skilled tradespeople across all sites.
A new 1500m² abrasive blasting and protective coatings facility was recently commissioned which includes a 23m x 6.2m x 6.2m “environmentally friendly” abrasive blast chamber capable of using all types of material for surface preparation.
An industrial booth 13m wide x 42m long is suitable for all large equipment and machinery with industrial finishes, while a 24m long heated spray booth offers greater flexibility in applying quality coatings to commercial and industrial machinery and equipment.
“Along with a team of skilled workers, Davey Protective Coatings is the clear leader and premium protective coating facility for the entire region capable of all types of protective coatings to exact Australian Standards and International specifications,” Tony said.
“The workshops and our engineering design teams enable the Group to manufacture equipment to clients’ needs.
“We can design, build and get the products to the site.
“We provide quality, rather than to a price, but we are also competitive, being an industry leader.”
The Davey Group fabrication workshop is equipped with current technology equipment including:
- 1 x 75t capacity mobile crane
- 6 x 25t capacity mobile crane
- Brake press with 300t capacity and 250 tonne CNC controller
- Multiple guillotines capable of up to 4000mm x 16mm plate
- 1000m2 painting facility including a 20m x 6m x6m environmentally friendly blast room for sand blasting and 24m long baking oven capable of all types of protective coating to exact Australian Standards and international specifications
- Submerged Arc welding machines
- Fully compliant industrial paint room 13m wide x 36m long x 14m high for large sections to be worked on
- Subcontract cutting, welding and fabrication services.
Three of these firms have been working for the Davey Group for the last 15 years.
The Davey Group uses design and job management software including:
- AutoCAD and SolidWorks for engineering and product design. Design capabilities are a major strength. The company can draw on past designs and continually improves design for functionality and constructability. This library of designs allows the company to design and quote quickly and accurately on simple through to complex project work. Finite element analysis and engineering certification are available through a network of experienced engineering contractors.
- Greentree job tracking software is used and provides real time data on the progress of all jobs, inputs used, costs and performance against budget. Job status is reviewed by the management team and project leading hands daily to ensure that projects are on track to meet client requirements. Complete histories for each job support continuous improvement in estimating, design and fabrication performance.
The Davey Group has a track record of delivering on budget based on this strong internal job control.
The Davey Group
P 07 4634 7767